[This article was written as part of a paid partnership with Switzerland Tourism. As always, the thoughts and opinions expressed in this article are purely my own.]
Fribourg, the capital of the canton bearing the same name, is one of the most well-preserved medieval cities in Europe. Having only visited the city two or three times, I had been eager to spend more time exploring its inviting cafés and restaurants. With an opportunity from Switzerland Tourism to take part in one of its Taste My Swiss City tours, I arrived in Fribourg on a Saturday morning. At the first of five destinations, I received my instructions for how to participate in this self-guided culinary visit.
What you will discover on the Taste My Swiss City Tour in Fribourg
Without giving away all the details, here are some highlights from this food tour of Fribourg:
- A local hotspot for fair trade coffee that serves a soft, fragrant mini-Cuchaule, a special saffron bread from Fribourg.
- The chance to taste two of the most famous cheeses from this region, a semi-hard Gruyère and a creamy Vacherin Fribourgeois.
- One of the most beautiful terrace restaurants in the city of Fribourg, with an exceptional view of the city and the Sarine River. I could have spent hours lingering at this spot.
- A cozy restaurant and bar with an excellent selection of craft beers and a great atmosphere. A friend from the canton of Fribourg had already recommended this place to me. I was really grateful to finally try it out.
- A charming fine dining restaurant — located in the Old Town of Fribourg and recognized by Gault&Millau — which has an emphasis on seasonal ingredients.
Why I recommend the Taste My Swiss City Tour for Fribourg
- First, if you only only have a few days to visit Fribourg and you like to eat, this tour will give you a variety of experiences within a short period of time. All five of the sites can be reached on foot.
- Most importantly, the Taste My Swiss City tours offer you an insider’s perspective of each city’s food scene. A local guide has selected each of the stops on these self-guided tours. For Fribourg, artist Michael FR has hand-picked his favorite spots in the city for food and drinks.
- Also, the self-guided tour gives you the flexibility to stay as long as you want at each site. At the same time, please remember that you must arrive at the last stop between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Finally, I think the tour is a good value. At CHF 75 per person, you will receive food, a drink or both at each stop. Plus, the Fribourg tour includes a “City Card” (value: CHF 20), giving you free access to public transportation, museums and more.
For more information…
- Taste My Fribourg: Here you will find details about the self-guided Taste My Swiss City tour in Fribourg. You can also purchase a voucher for the tour online.
- Taste My Swiss City: Switzerland Tourism currently offers these self-guided food tours in a dozen Swiss cities.
- Fribourg Region’s Specialties: Before you take the tour, you can learn about the culinary specialties that you will find in Fribourg.