With blackberries now in season, this is a quick recipe you can throw together with a chestnut and mascarpone cream in about 15 minutes!
Switzerland’s Italian-speaking canton, Ticino, is known for chestnuts. If you’re looking for a sweet recipe with this ingredient, I have a recipe for you. It features chestnut purée and mascarpone folded into whipped cream and layered with fresh blackberries and crushed speculoos cookies. This is an excellent summer dessert that can be made quickly, requires few ingredients, and isn’t overly sweet. I recommend giving it a try!
This dessert was inspired by a recipe I saw in Tessiner Küche, a cookbook by Erica Bänziger (Fona Verlag AG: 2015), as well as a recipe from Cyril Lignac et Les petits chefs: Nouvelle recettes (Hachette Pratique: 2010).
How to make it:
Chestnut and Mascarpone Cream with Fresh Blackberries
- 200 grams chestnut purée
- 200 grams mascarpone
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 1-2 cups fresh blackberries
- 4 speculoos cookies (I used Biscoff biscuits from Lotus Bakeries)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chestnut purée and mascarpone until well-blended.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until light and fluffy.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the chestnut-mascarpone mixture.
- Add the blackberries to 4-6 glasses, distributing them evenly among the glasses.
- Place spoonfuls of the chestnut-mascarpone cream onto the blackberries in each of the glasses — again, distributing the mixture evenly.
- Put the speculoos cookies in a plastic bag and roll over them with a rolling pin. Sprinkle the crushed cookies on top of the chestnut-mascarpone cream. Serve immediately.
*In Switzerland, you can buy frozen chestnut purée or a shelf-stable tube of Vermicelles, either of which you should be able to find at Migros or Coop, for example.
**To save time, you can make the chestnut-mascarpone cream a few hours beforehand and refrigerate it until you’re ready to assemble the dessert.
Updated: May 9, 2022
Categories: Dessert, fruit, Lunch/dinner, Recipes, Swiss, Swiss food, Switzerland
Looks delicious Heddi!!!
Thanks so much!