Gault & Millau has released its 2023 guide for Switzerland (in German), which features a total of 870 restaurants throughout the country (CHF 55.90). The French language version of the guide has 279 restaurant descriptions, plus a list of all the restaurants recognized outside of Suisse Romande (CHF 34.90).
As part of its release, Gault & Millau also announced its annual award winners for the fields of gastronomy and hospitality. These include awards for the Chef of the Year as well as chefs identified as rising stars.
A summary of the 2023 winners:
- Chef of the Year: Benoit Carcenat – Hôtel Restaurant le Valrose in Rougement (VD)
- Newcomer of the Year I: Dominik Hartmann – Magdalena in Schywz (SZ)
- Newcomer of the Year II: Silvia Manser – Restaurant Truube in Gais (AR)
- Newcomer of the year in French-speaking Switzerland: Philippe Deslarzes – Njørden in Aubonne (VD)
- Newcomer of the year in Ticino: Marco Campanella – Restaurant Eden Roc in Ascona (TI)
- Discovery of the Year: Michael Schuler – Restaurant Alex in Thalwil (ZH)
- Discovery of the year in French-speaking Switzerland: Gilles Varone – Restaurant Gilles Varone in Savièse (VS)
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Othmane Koris – The Alpina Gstaad (BE)
- Wine Sommelier of the year: Peter Zimmermann – Grand Hotel Zermatterhof in Zermatt (VS)
- Hotel of the Year: Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne (VD)
The 2023 Gault & Millau Guide at a glance:
- 6 restaurants have maintained their rating of 19 out of 20 points, the highest rating achieved in Switzerland:
- Andreas Caminada, Schloss Schauenstein in Fürstenau (GR)
- Tanja Grandits, Restaurant Stucki in Basel (BS)
- Peter Knogl, Cheval Blanc in Basel (BS)
- Heiko Nieder, Dolder Grand – The Restaurant in Zurich (ZH)
- Franck Giovannini, Restaurant de l’Hôtel de Ville de Crissier (VD)
- Philippe Chevrier, Domaine de Châteauvieux in Satigny (GE)
- 89 restaurants appear for the first time in the 2023 guide.
- The guide also presents its list of the 150 best vineyards in Switzerland (German & French versions) and the top 90 hotels with a special focus on gastronomy (only available in the German version).